Real Time Location Systems combine the benefits of RFID and GPS. RTLS is used to identify, track, and manage the location of what we refer to as the "4 Ps" in real time. The 4 Ps is an acronym for people, paper, products and procedures and an RTLS system can track and identify their movement as it actually occurs. ARS can implement RTLS systems using battery assisted passive, active or passive RFID technology to enable cost effective adoption. We also provide advanced location information which may include speed, direction, or spatial orientation. These additional attributes allow real time situational awareness of tagged items.
ARS implements RTLS to provide automatic identification capabilities of cost effective RFID tags with the added feature of being able to see the physical location of the tagged item on a 3D computer generated map. This capability had previously been utilized by military and government agencies but the technology is now cost effective enough for commercial and nonprofit purposes.
For RTLS to function the location of tagged items must be determined by algorithms which vary tremendously by provider. ARS is an expert in geodetic reference frames and uses this deep knowledge to perfect location by cost effectively using either one or all of the following means:
- Dead reckoning
- Way points
- Presence detection
- Choke points
Thanks to the continuous trend of increasing functionality with decreasing cost, RTLS serves in operational use cases which are applicable to almost any business.
Tasks performed by an RTLS system include:
- Combine identity and location of any of the 4 Ps.
- Ensures permanent visibility at all times.
- Supports notification of picking or placing items of interest.
- Proves proper manning of operational areas, including any necessary certifications or endorsements which may be required for safety or other reasons.
- Facilitates the timely and safe evacuation of endangered areas.
- Facilitates marshalling staff and deployment of first responders.
- Triggers event notification based on an attribute of the 4 Ps which may include a geo fence.